Now this bodice is simple with only one piece and two darts. I say it's simple but in order for the lace overlay to work you do have to do a couple of things different. So will show you that.
In the last post I told you guys that I was making this pattern up 8 of my dolls. I don't know about you but making the same design out of the same fabric 8 different times can be a bit monotonous. So changed the fabric up on each one. I am also going to show you two different versions of the bodice that you might want to try. So here goes nothing.
First things first. Lay both the bodice and bodice overlay, right sides up, with the lace on top. Pin it leaving the top alone.
First pin a piece of freezer paper to your ironing board with the shiny side up and lay you lace on top of it. Make sure the right side of the lace is facing down.
Let the whole thing cool for just a few seconds and peel the freezer paper open. Do not panic at the look of the freezer paper because it does stick to itself. That's not the important part. Your lace should slide right out with the adhesive secure on it. Peel that paper off and cut out what you want to use for your bodice.
I like to then secure these motifs with some monofilament thread. Think while I am securing the edges I will also adorn this one with some small crystal beads.
To achieve this look you must first change the setting on you machine to a gathering stitch or just the longest straight stitch you have. Now your going to run rows of that stitch up and down your fabric about 1 inch apart. Your machine will do the work for you and gather as it goes.
If you haven't seen my other posts about this Sew-Along and would like to catch up click on the links below.
- A Grand Evening Sew-Along: Schedule and Other Details
- A Grand Evening Sew-Along: Gathering Fabric and Supplies
- A Grand Evening Sew-Along #1: Making a Muslin and Fitting for Other Dolls
- A Grand Evening Sew-Along #2: Cutting and Marking Our Fabric
- A Grand Evening Sew-Along #3: Sewing the Bodice
- A Grand Evening Sew-Along #4: Sewing the Skirt
- A Grand Evening Sew-Along #5: Attaching the Skirt and Snaps
- A Grand Evening Sew-Along #6: Working with Fur and Making the Collar
- A Grand Evening Sew-Along #7: Sewing the Cape Together
- A Grand Evening Sew-Along #8: Sewing the Petticoat and Ideas
- A Grand Evening Sew-Along #9: Making Gloves and Working with Lycra
- A Grand Evening Sew-Along #10: Creating the Evening Bag and Creativity
- A Grand Evening: All Finished and a Contest!
- A Grand Evening: Your Grand Evenings!