That's what happened to me the last week. I would sew a step and get my camera ready to take some pictures only to find out something was wrong. If it wasn't the tension on my sewing machine acting up, it was my own lack of concentration that would take a misstep or just plain make a really obvious and stupid mistake. Then when I was nearly done my poor Cissy doll had a mishap. Her arm fell off!!! So spent the better part of two days learning all about the "Art of Restringing Your Doll". She's better now but not where she needs to be. I need to purchase the correct elastic that's stronger than the regular sewing elastic.
So all that being said. . . . . Today isn't going to be that difficult. There's a few steps that are different from the norm, but not too difficult. We are going to finish up our dress today and that means you will have to get out your needle, thread and a thimble. That is if your mom (or the one who taught you to sew) made you wear one. When I started learning to sew my Mom had me wear a thimble everywhere and all day long. Glad she did because now it's more like wearing a ring and just belongs on my finger. I know a lot of people have trouble with those thimbles. But trust me, they really do save your fingers.
To begin with get your skirt out and pin the lining to the skirt along the upper edge.
Sorry about the next few pictures being blurry.
When you get to where the bodice is attached to the skirt your going stick you needle into the bodice and pull it out on the back edge. Don't worry about pulling up the gathers yet and making a knot.
If I stay on track this week we should be done with this pattern on Monday. But then again. . . .??
If you haven't seen my other posts about this Sew-Along and would like to catch up click on the links below.
- A Grand Evening Sew-Along: Schedule and Other Details
- A Grand Evening Sew-Along: Gathering Fabric and Supplies
- A Grand Evening Sew-Along #1: Making a Muslin and Fitting for Other Dolls
- A Grand Evening Sew-Along #2: Cutting and Marking Our Fabric
- A Grand Evening Sew-Along #3: Sewing the Bodice
- A Grand Evening Sew-Along #4: Sewing the Skirt
- A Grand Evening Sew-Along #5: Attaching the Skirt and Snaps
- A Grand Evening Sew-Along #6: Working with Fur and Making the Collar
- A Grand Evening Sew-Along #7: Sewing the Cape Together
- A Grand Evening Sew-Along #8: Sewing the Petticoat and Ideas
- A Grand Evening Sew-Along #9: Making Gloves and Working with Lycra
- A Grand Evening Sew-Along #10: Creating the Evening Bag and Creativity
- A Grand Evening: All Finished and a Contest!
- A Grand Evening: Your Grand Evenings!