Gather Pieces Needed
The only two pattern pieces that we are going to use today are the Bodice Front and the Bodice Back. We are actually going to work on the bodice and the lining for the bodice today. Although the lining will be put aside until a much later post. Also, get your thread, iron and scissors out for this.
For my machine I like to set the stitch length to 2.0 millimeters. I have found that for doll clothing this is a good overall length for basic stitching. Unless I'm doing some zig-zag, rolled hem or a decorative stitch, I like the 1/4" straight stitch foot. This helps a lot for making sure your seam allowances are accurate.
I have had a bad habit of turning the iron to a high setting when sewing "real people" clothing. This is truly a really, really bad habit of mine. So.... Make sure your iron is set appropriately for the fabric your using. Testing on a scrap is always a good idea.
Stitch Bodice Together
We are going to stitch the darts in the bodice front. First start by pinning your darts together. Starting only on one side.
If you haven't seen my other posts about this Sew-Along and would like to catch up click on the links below.
- Announcing the Sweet Violet Sew-Along (May 28)
- Sweet Violet Sew-Along: Gathering Fabric and Supplies (May 29)
- Sweet Violet Sew-Along: Cutting and Marking Our Fabric (June 2)
- Sweet Violet Sew-Along: Sewing the Bodice (June 4)
- Sweet Violet Sew-Along: Preparing the Skirt Overlay (June 6)
- Sweet Violet Sew-Along: Sewing the Skirt Together (June 8)
- Sweet Violet Sew-Along: Attaching the Skirt and Snaps (June 10)
- Sweet Violet Sew-Along: Embroidery Work and Misc. (June 12)
- Sweet Violet Sew-Along: Sewing the Petticoat (June 15)
- Sweet Violet Sew-Along: Making the Gloves & Purse (June 17)